debian install not recognizing cdrom

I'm trying to install Debian 1.2.10 but can't get it to access my
cdrom.  I have a Soundblaster cdrom, which is recognised by Redhat
as sbpcd.

I've installed the rescue disk and the driver disk and the
shell prompt says that /dev/sbpcd is available;  however when I try
to mount the cdrom it says /dev/sbpcd is not available.

Does this mean that I've got to copy everything to floppies in
order to install debian :(

Anthony