silly "gateway" networking

I'm trying to set up a Debian system here on my office network. However,
I don't know exactly how to go about it, because the setup is not the
straightforward one-IP-per-computer schema.

There is one computer which has a dedicated dialup PPP connection, and
runs a "gateway". Thus all the other machines' net requests go through
that box - anyway, it's a super-cheap setup. My question is, how do I
configure Debian (with the blue/grey curses configuration that you get on
the rescue disk) on this kind of network? What, for example, do I put in
for the domain name? The PPP connection does have a static IP, so maybe
that's a little helpful.

Thanks, you guys have been real helpful!

Aaron Brick.