Re: Problems with CD in Dselect

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Jan Francsi wrote:

> I have a little problem with the installation of Debian Linux.
> When I start dselect and go to the Access section, I can chose cdrom. My
> drive spinns up and the dialog beginns.

Ok, so you know what /dev your cdrom is!

> But now I could not chose the right Directory. Evrytime I do so, dselect
> says Dir don´t exists. I have checked under win95 and the dir´s are
> there on my cd it must be Debian/Local .

I don't know about the layout of your particular cdrom, but trying "/" and
"." as base dir sometimes works.

> when I check the cdrom Path (ls /cdrom) in a second shell, nothing was
> in it. Is this ok ?

Yes, because it is mounted as /var/lib/dpkg/methods/cdrom or something
like that.

> If not, how can I mount a CD and where do I find it ?
> Please help   :-)

You can mount a cd (if it is not mounted already with a command like:
  "mount -t iso9660 /dev/{your cdrom} /cdrom"
provided that you fill in the correct device for {your cdrom} and /cdrom
exists (it probably does.) It might even work when you leave out the "-t
iso9660" part, because it is the default fs type.
Unmount with:
  "umount /cdrom" ,
provided you (or another user/process) are not in a directory beneath
/cdrom when you try to unmount (you'll get an error saying the device is
busy.)

In my /etc/fstab I have a line that says:
  "/dev/scd0           /cdrom          iso9660 user,noauto,ro   0       0"
With this, I can mount a cd a mortal user by typing "mount /cdrom".

Read about it in the "mount" and "fstab" manpages (oh, dang, you have to
install the manpages first - from your cdrom ;-)

Good luck!

Joost