Re: libc5 to libc6: purge or install

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Jameson Burt wrote:

> This seems the correct approach.  So, the libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO should say
> not just
>    The minimum list of packages to install to be able to run unstable-
>    branch packages is below.  Install these packages one at a time in
>    exactly the order listed.  When versions are mentioned, that is a
>    minimum suggested version, any later version should also be
>    acceptable.
>         o  ldso_1.9.5-1
>         o  libc6_2.0.4-1
>
> but should also include something like
>         o  ldso_1.9.5-1
>         o  libc5_5.4.38  from unstable hamm **********
>         o  libc6_2.0.4-1
>
> The need for the above appeared to me again today, in my office, when  a
> colleague tried to install Debian Linux.  As recommended in the HOWTO, he did
> not use dselect.  However, haveing followed the libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO two
> times, he is about to try installing Debian Linux for the third time in one
> day.   The first recommended package ldso_1.9.6-2 installed properly.  The
> second package libc6_2.0.5c-0.1 failed to install, responding that dpkg COULD
> NOT REMOVE libc5!  He knew not to use a -force option, so he used a --purge
> option on libc5.  He followed this by again having dpkg install
> libc6_2.0.6c-0.1.  All seemed well, except that the purging of libc5 removed
> /lib/libreadline.so.2, so he could no longer log on --time to reinstall Debian
> Linux.

I plan on mentioning this when I update the howto over the holidays.  I am
also going to plaster said howto with large warnings for

DO NOT PURGE LIBC5 WHEN UPGRADING.
DO NOT USE --force FOR ANY REASON when doing the libc5->libc6 upgrade.

(not shouting at you, just at anyone else out there considering it)