Problem with a new Mach64 3D Xpression 2MB

I am trying to set up a new machine for someone else. The machine came with
an ATI 3D Xpression 2MB card.

Using Debian 1.3.1, I can't get any X11 server other than vga16 to work. The
Mach64 server seems to splits the screen vertically a couple of times.  X
-probeonly says

  unknown ATI (82304x) rev 154, Aperture @ 0xe000000, Block I/0 @ 0x6100
  Memory type: 3
  Clock type: Internal
  Ramdac is Internal

I would be grateful if anyone could help me out. Please email me directly as
I am not following this list very regularly.

Thanks, Dirk

--
edd@rosebud.ml.org                   According to the latest official figures,
http://rosebud.ml.org/~edd        43% of all statistics are totally worthless.