exabyte tapes

I hhave an exabyte 8505xl drive hooked up to my linux box.
It writes and reads using /dev/st0 fine but I have a number
of data tapes written on sun's and DEc Ultrix boxes taht
I need to read and can't be read trivially using /dev/st0.
Does anyone know or can point me to where I can find theh
default block sizes and other incantations assumed by
linux and/or solve my particualr problem? It would
also be nice to know whether st0 thinks the drive
is an old low density 8200  or the high density 8505.
Thanks for any enlightenmight.
Tom Irving