displaying text on login

is there a way to display text when the login prompt shows? For
instance, on my machine the hostname is chaos. When I boot, it says:

Debian GNU Linux 1.3 chaos tty1

chaos login:

How can I change it to say, for example, "Welcome to Chaos.net!"?
Also... How can you change what it says after you log in? On my system,
it says

Most of the programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are
redistributable... and so on.

is there a way to change this? Thanks for your help.

Aaron Walker

      Site: http://www.iconmedia.com
      Email: aaron@iconmedia.com

      Site: http://www.iconmedia.com/aaron