Is `Okidata 6e' page printer a `Windows-based' printer?

Following the Print-HOWTO, I did this from root:

     # cat /etc/printcap > /dev/lp1

My printer's LED blinked, with no further response after.
/proc/devices shows that lp exists; `dmesg | grep lp' shows
that my printer is recognized at port 0x378 (the IRQ should
be 7, but I could not verify this from Linux).

QUESTION:  Does this mean my printer is `Windows-based',
ie, unusable under Linux?  [If not, is there some other
way to determine an answer to this question?]

Regards, -c