"shared" memory value was: Re: /usr full !?

Mario Filipe <mjnf@neptuno.uevora.pt> writes:

> Mem:         31004      30356        648      23424        228
> -/+ buffers:            30128        420
> Swap:        32252       2560      29692       9788
>
> 	I noticed it because i ran xosview and noticed that most of the
> used memory was on "shared".

xosview doesn't print shared memory properly - the author was unsure
what it meant when 1.4 was released.

IIRC, it's the amount of memory being saved because programs are
sharing their code and the shared libraries like libc.  If I run 60
sleeps (along with X, XEmacs, Netscape, etc.), the shared memory
exceeds the total memory.  (Which really stuffs up xosview 1.4.1's
display.)

--
    Carey Evans  <*>  http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/  gc

	  A B C D E F G H I J K M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z