Re: Is it possible to start X Windows in multiple V/C .

On 19-Dec-97 Heikki Vatiainen wrote:
>Ralph Winslow <rjw@rjw.nac.net> wrote:
>
>> Yep, I'm absolutely certain - I entered:
>>
>> startx  --   :1
>>
>> the only spaces were between x and -- and between -- and :1
>> three tokens, and I just re-tried to be absolutely certain.  Oops,
>> this time I ran as root and voila, it worked!  So I tried it again as
>> myself, and once again it failed, go figure!
>
>That's, hmm, interesting :) About the only thing I can think of now is the
>/tmp directory permissions. Since it works as root and not as an ordinary
>user maybe the /tmp permissions are messed up.
>
>It's also strange that the error message mentions display 0 even though you
>tell it to use display 1. Maybe for some strange reason you have startx in
>two different locations and the root user sees different startx than the
>non-root user. Command 'which startx' should tell where startx lives.

"which startx" as root says "/usr/bin/X11/startx" and as rjw says
"/home/rjw/bin/startx". "cat /home/rjw/bin/startx" shows:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/X11/startx -bpp 24

I forgot my $* on the end. I guess it won't be the last time I
outsmart myself, but I'll hope so, anyway.

>Also to correct myself; it's minus not slash :).

>// Heikki
>

>--

Ralph Winslow                 rjw@nac.net
Mary bought a pair of skates