Re: Is it possible to start X Windows in multiple V/C .

On 19-Dec-97 Heikki Vatiainen wrote:
>Are you really, really sure you did not forget the space after those two
>slashes. I use the command almost every day and it works just fine. However,
>if if type

Yep, I'm absolutely certain - I entered:

startx  --   :1

the only spaces were between x and -- and between -- and :1
three tokens, and I just re-tried to be absolutely certain.  Oops,
this time I ran as root and voila, it worked!  So I tried it again as
myself, and once again it failed, go figure!

>startx --:1
>        ^^^-- note, no space after the second slash
>
>I get the same error as you about X already being active for display 0.
>
>The two slashes mean that there are no more arguments to the startx script
>and all the following arguments should be passed to the X server. In this
>case the X server is started as
>
>X :1
>
>and it starts on VC8.
>
>// Heikki