Re: sendmail installation

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997 00:54:47 CST, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just install the debian 1.3.1.r6 on a new harddrive and
> the sendmail gave me some error:  (PLEASE HELP)
>
> --8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # dpkg -i /pub/debian/bo/binary-i386/mail/sendmail_8.8.5-1.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package sendmail.
> (Reading database ... 11862 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking sendmail (from .../mail/sendmail_8.8.5-1.deb) ...
> Setting up sendmail (8.8.5-1) ...
>
> Sendmail Configuration
> ----------------------
> By answering the following questions, you can configure sendmail for your
> system. Default values are determined either by your existing configuration
> or from common usage.
>
> Press [ENTER]
>
> Mail Name
> ---------
> Your `mail name' is the hostname portion of the address to be shown on
> outgoing news and mail messages (following the username and @ sign). This
> name will be used by other programs besides sendmail; it should be the single
> ,
> canonical name from which mail will appear to originate.
>
> hostname: Host name lookup failure
> dpkg: error processing sendmail (--install):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> sendmail
> --8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I presume you tried to enter your isp's hostname, or weren't given the
chance.

It appears you selected the "Satelite" model, which is commonly used
for static ip isp service, which is somewhat uncommon unless you have
special internet needs.  For more common dynamic ppp connections, the
"Internet" model is the one you want.

If your DNS is not correctly identified (/etc/resolv.conf), and you're
not connected to the internet, then your  hostname which you will be
masquerading as probably will not be visible.

You have several options, depending on what is going on.  You can
configure your dns, you can switch to the "Internet" model, or you can
connect to the internet and try re-entering your isp's hostname, or you
can do any combination of the three.

/etc/resolv.conf  (there's a man page for this)
search your.isp.hostname
nameserver 123.45.678.9
nameserver 012.34.567.8
Where you fill in the numbers for your nameservers, domain names

Also, sometimes it takes dselect a few tries, I dunno why.

After the trouble I went through with sendmail configuration, I'd
recommend you stick with the Debian recommended MTA, smail.  Most of
the commands are identical, it's plenty configurable, good
documentation, the syntax of the config files is far nicer.

--
David Stern

kotsya@u.washington.edu
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kotsya/