Re: BIND 8.1.1 and IP aliasing in Linux

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, dA' Phucilage Phactory wrote:

> > I have several Linux DNS servers, two of which have IP aliases on one
> > interface.  Recently I upgraded from BIND 4.9.6 to BIND 8.1.1.  One of the
> > subtle problems I have noticed is now the machines that have IP aliases
> > don't automatically update a zone when sent a notify by the primary
> > server.  Under 4.9.6 they had no problems.
>

> 	I've noticed that the debian package for bind 4.9.6 isn't to great
> (no offense to whomever made it), so i downloaded bind-4.9.6-REL.tar.gz,
> and manually did it myself. I have not and will not goto 8.x until they
> resolve a lot of errors. Right now i am quite happy with 4.9.6, it works
> as it should, and isn't a hassle what so ever.
>
> 	Now to your questions, could you possibly be forgetting to
> increment your serial numbers in your databases? If so, that would
> possibly explain lack of zone transfers to your secondaries. Also, setting
> up a cronjob to pull records is a good idea. I have cron run
> named-xfer with the correct parameters every 6 hours on my secondaries to
> pull from myself.

No sorry, I know the serial numbers are not the problem.  If I do a 'ndc
reload' then it does the zone xfer alright.  As I said - the only
difference between when it was receiving and processing successfully the
notifies from primary servers and now (when it's not) is that now I've
added an IP alias to one interface and let named auto-detect the
interfaces (rather than specifying via 'listen-on' directives, which
appears to be no problem if you believe the logs).

BTW, I'm not using (and haven't been using) the debian BIND package(s) -
I've built my own, but the system is otherwise debian 1.3.whatever (bo).

But thanx for some interest...

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)
Phone: 07-838-4764