I burst my LILO (new user)

Hi All,
Having installed from diskimage floppies, I accidentally deleted some
stuff (in the /dpkg directory) and decided to start over again. Since I
reinstalled, LILO sticks every time I boot from harddisk. I then also
imported LOADLIN~.DEB and configured it, without visible effect.

I can reboot from the Rescue Disk OK, but otherwise it goes:
LI
LI
(hangs without getting to LO)

As a new user I'd be pleased if anyone could clarify what goes on.
Cheers,
Adrian