Re: Partitioning

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Chuma Agbodike wrote:

> Hi Gertjan
>
> One thing still puzzles me that I hope you can clear up for me.
> Supposing I buy a brand new hard disk. IDE, SCSI or whatever.
> To use it, I have to partition it, using a utility like FDISK .
> FDISK writes the MBR and Partition Table. Right ?

Fdisk does the partition table only, use lilo for the MBR.

> If I go and start copying files to any of the partitions, the data can't be
> read.
> Because I have to format or initialize the partition before writing to it .
> Right ?

mke2fs is probably prefered here.

> So how come the system can write/read the MBR and partition table ???

Because 99% of harddrives that I've seen are preformated for win 95.

If this doesn't answer your question, it's probably because I didn't ready
the beginning of this thread.

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds