Re: which fm to rt on apache and access?

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu wrote:

:
: I'm sure there's a simple answer somewhere to this, but after scouring the
: spots I could think of, I can't find it.
:
: Access to eyry.econ.iastate.edu is no problem; it happily brings up the
: default page.
:
: I then created /home/hawk/www, copied the index.html to it, and created a
: symlink from /var/www/hawk to it.  The first yields
:
: Forbidden
:
: You don't have permission to access /hawk on this server.
:
: even from the machine itself, while  eryy.econ.iastate.edu/home/~hawk yields
:
: Not Found
:
: The requested URL /~hawk was not found on this server.
:
: >From rtfming around, it would seem that i should be editing
: /etc/apache/access.conf.  However, it already contains
:
: # Controls who can get stuff from this server.
:
: order allow,deny
: allow from all
:
: </Directory>
:
:
: help! :)
:

Take a look at your <Options> directive(s) for the directories you wish
to access.  It should contain "FollowSymLinks" if you wish symlinks to
work.  (www.apache.org has all the docs; take a look at "Options").

As far as using the ~hawk URL, what is your UserDir directive set to?  I
believe the default is "public_html" ... if you changed that to "www"
your URL should work.  Otherwise, it won't :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104