Re: X-windows

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Alan Woo wrote:
> hey all,
> i have tried several things to get x-windows up and running, but it
> enver works. Can someone please give me step by step directions right
> from the start of how i can do this, even if i have to reinstall linux?

What problem in particular are you having? What step do you get to?
Which part doesn't work? What error messages do you get? What have you
tried?

> I've done everything i thought i was supposed to, but it can never find
> an X-server (how do i configure that?)

Put the name of the X server you want at the top of /etc/X11/Xserver.
A sample name:

/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA

You may have to use a different server, depending on your hardware. See
the XF86 HOWTO, to be found in /usr/doc/HOWTO/XFree86-HOWTO.gz if you
installed the HOWTO package. Also try /usr/doc/X11.

Good luck.

HTH,
Havoc Pennington