Images in LaTeX (urgently needed for xmas cards!)

How does one place gifs, jpegs into a LaTeX document? The book I have
(The LaTeX Companion) mentions a graphics package but says its under
development. However, the book is a few years old, so maybe it's been
developed.

Failing that, how do you convert gifs etc. into eps? The book tells me how
to deal with that format (= encapsulated postscript?)

You know you've been working with *nix too long when you think xmas must
be an X windows program :].

Andrew Tarr
(misc2288@csc.canterbury.ac.nz)

"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things.
     Right now, I am so far behind I shall never die.    "