local mail is broken

Hi,

Today I switched from sendmail to smail, editted the configuration
files fairly thoroughly, restarted smail, and everything works for
non-local mail.

I don't really know when I stopped receiving local mail, but I know I
used to receive local mail when I was improperly configured as
"satelite" (static ip) using sendmail.

Then I switched to from "satelite" to <send and receive via SMTP over
TCP/IP>, I also configured my MFA (fetchmail), and I setup procmail to
sort my mail into the $HOME/Mail/* folders.  This bypasses the
traditional /var/spool/mail/* arrangement.

Currently local users are in /etc/aliases and smail complains that the
all local users, root included, are unknown, and mail isn't delivered.
Why would my local users be "unknown" to smail?  I've restarted smail.

What format are the /usr/doc/smail/guide/*.gz docs in?  The formatting
is hard to read--lots of ".AE", ".NH", ".B", ".PP", .. at the beginning
of lines.

Here's a (editted) snip from /var/log/smail:
Received FROM:<+> HOST:localhost PROTOCOL:bsmtp PROGRAM:smail SIZE:1291
Failed TO:'&&exec DIRECTOR:dotforward ERROR:(ERR100) unknown user
Failed TO:-f-||exit DIRECTOR:dotforward ERROR:(ERR100) unknown user
Failed TFailed TO:/usr/bin/procmail DIRECTOR:dotforward TRANSPORT:file
ERROR:(ERR133) transport file: failed to open output file: No such file
     or directory O:75 DIRECTOR:dotforward ERROR:(ERR100) unknown user
Failed TO:|IFS=' DIRECTOR:dotforward TRANSPORT:pipe ERROR:(ERR144)
     transport pipe: child returned status EX_2 (2)
mail moved to /var/spool/smail/error/0xhjrI-0001y3C

My $HOME/.forward looks like:
|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75 #kotsya

There's a lot going on here, and I can't figure it out.  If anyone
understands this, please let me know.  (/usr/bin/procmail exists, btw)

--
David Stern

kotsya@u.washington.edu
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kotsya/