root logs in with no password on consoles

In this strange new world after the reinstall, another problem is that root is
not asked for a password when attempting to log in at the consoles.  However,
su and login at the xconsole do require the password, and root is still unable
to login from telnet.

How do I fix this?  i can't even guess wher to look.

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.