Re: Mail Server?

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> When I send mail through my ISP, I direct pine's smtp to the mail server
> (by name, ie mail.polaris.net) my ISP askes me to use. I assume that
> smail/sendmail on other machines on the "local" net would be pointed at
> that server as well.

  That's notquite what I mean.

  What I'm getting at is that I'm setting up a dedicated connection (ie.
web server, domain, etc) for a client. Rather than have just the one
single computer doing all the processing (web pages, cgi, news, mail,
etc), he wants to offload the mail processing onto a different machine.
So, to illustrate:

  Web server is xxx.xxx.xx.1
  Mail server is xxx.xxx.xx.2

  ...whatever. So in other words, all mail going to the corporation is
handled (delivered, processed...) through the mail sever, and not through
the web server. There is a dedicated T1 connection, with the web and mail
servers connected through a local LAN.

  I think that explains it better. Sorry I wasn't completely clear.

  Dave Robinet
  robined@server.uwindsor.ca