MTA hostname masquerading, and local mail delivery

Hi,

There are a lot of things about mail delivery that I'm unsure of right
now. Having put more time into thinking about exactly what I want, I've
become less certain about my configuration needs.

Originally I thought it best to masquerade globally, as this is not
email client specific, which is important in case I decide to try out
another mail client, and exclude root.  The problem is that all mail
gets queued up for the smtp server, and mail to root is undeliverable
(even when connected to my smtp server).

Now I'm thinking I want to masquerade the hostname on a user by user
basis (at the system level, for outgoing mail) and also for mail from
and to local users to be delivered locally without the smtp server
being in the loop, if that is consistent--it sounds complex and I don't
know if it is or not.

What I mean is that I want mail from root to kotsya@localhost.localdomai
n to be delivered without the smtp server ever knowing about it, and
vice versa.

Does anyone do this?  Which MTA do you use?  Where are the rules or
facilities to configure this?  I'm willing to try just about anything
that will work. If I've lost my marbles, please suggest something
better.
--
David Stern

kotsya@u.washington.edu