Re: Problem with booting after moving from 128 to 64M

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Daniel J. Mashao wrote:

> I had my system working fine for about 2 months but lately I have been
> experiencing problems. I initially thought it had to do with "dirty"
> filesystems. Now I have excluded that possibility.
>
> Now I wanted to test memory (128M) by removing 64M at a time and changing
> the lilo.conf mem statement. After I have done that the computer does not
> boot anymore. It stops after line "VFS: mount root ...". If I replace all
> 128M it boots fine, but it does not work with any combinations of 64 Megs
>
> Any clues?

This looks very similar to what happened to me last week.  I had a system
that had 384MB RAM.  I needed to downgrade it to 128MB.  I changed the
line in /etc/lilo.conf and built a boot floppy, BUT I forgot to change the
script /usr/sbin/mkboot to reflect this change.  The system would hang
whenever it got to the "VFS: mount root ..." line during boot just as you
describe.

I had to:

1. boot off a debian rescue disk
2. manually mount the rootfs on /mnt (after switching to the shell on
Alt-F2).
3. put a blank floppy in, and
4. cat /mnt/vmlinuz > /dev/fd0
5. dismount /mnt and reboot.

This got my system back booting from a raw kernel on the floppy, but only
seeing the default maximum of 64MB RAM.  I then edited /usr/bin/mkboot to
include:
	append = "mem=128M"
and reran it.  Then a reboot got me back to the 128MB RAM as intended.  A
bit of a hassle alright!

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)
Phone: 07-838-4764