Re: Debian 1.3 ignores more than 2 "groups".

"Pedro Sanchez" <psanchez@nortel.ca> writes:

> However, when user-name logs in and types "groups" he gets,
>
> $ groups
> user-name dialout
>
> Where is dip? In fact, I tested by adding user-name to more groups but to
> my surprise "groups" always returns the same two groups!

My first guess would be that this is due to corruption in the
"/etc/group" file somewhere between the group "dialout" (which works)
and the group "dip" (which doesn't).  Depending on the C library
version, a bad line may cause the remainder of the file to be ignored.

Look carefully at the "/etc/group" file between "dialout" and "dip".
Make sure every line is valid, that no colon is missing or misplaced.
For example, early versions of Debian had the following error in the
"/etc/group" file:

	sudo:*:27
	:audio:*:29:
	dip:*:30:

The colon at the start of the "audio" line should have been at the end
of the "sudo" line.

Kevin <buhr@stat.wisc.edu>