Re: A question regarding hardware

On 14 Dec 1997 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> Ultra DMA 33 motherboards currently run in non-DMA mode.
> I don't understand why there's no Ultra DMA 33 support yet. Do all the
> developers run SCSI?
>
> 	Bruce

This may well be the case.  I noticed when I was first starting with Linux
a couple of years ago that nearly all the disk discussion was centered on
SCSI with IDE being regarded as almost an afterthought.  Basicly, the
attitude was, get SCSI disks and it will work, get IDE disks, and it
might.  About a year ago I bought a really nice cacheing Promise dual IDE
controller and had to return it because there was no Linux support for it.
To this day, the second IDE bus is only partially supported.

George Bonser
Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?
http://www.debian.org