Re: dselect

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 tango@inx.net wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to install packages with dselect, via floppy
> > disks?  I know I have to include the packages themselves, .dep files,
> > right?  But I think I need to add soemthing else cause I get some
> > errors, I need to add like a packages header or something, any ideas?
>
> The first floppy must contain a Packages file, but you really don't want
> to do it this way. If you must add packages to your system via floppy
> disk, use dpkg and install them one at a time.

Strictly speaking, dselect doesn't need a Packages file.  dselect can
get this information by scanning a directory with packages, if a
Packages file is unavailable.  If your get your distribution from
floppies, it is most likely incomplete (that would require a lot of
floppies), thus the Packages file from the distribution does not
coreespond to the packages you have.  I recommend that you first copy
all your packages to a directory on the harddisk, and then let dselect
scan this directory.

- Sten Anderson