Re: permission denied

Elaina Beth Tillinghast wrote:
  >I've mounted the cd and can read off of it. Permissions for a
  >particular file look like
  >-rwxr-xr-x  901  root   size  Install
  >Yet when I type ./Install from that directory as root, I get
  >permission denied.  What gives? I have no idea where to look.

It's probably a script.  Therefore it's quite likely that you
have a problem with permissions on something the script is trying to
run.

If it is not a script, I have no idea.

If it is, the first line probably says what shell process is to run the
script.  It might say `#! /bin/bash' or `#! /usr/bin/perl'.  Check the
permissions of that executable.  If that is OK, start debugging the
script itself.  If it's a shell script (/bin/bash or /bin/sh) put
`set -x' near the top; if it's a perl script, I don't know; perhaps
someone else could suggest something.  The object is to see what command
in the script is failing.  If you can't do it that way, check the
permissions of every command the script tries to run.

Unsolicited email advertisements are not welcome; any person sending
such will be invoiced for telephone time used in downloading together
with a £25 administration charge.