SVGA (X) server stopped working properly.

Liran Zvibel writes:
 > Hello!
 > I accidently ran (the command) X (not startx) and the server showed up
 > with no window-manager or anything else (just the dotted gray/white/black
 > background and the x shaped cursor) I didn't know how to shut it down so I
 > rebooted (since CTRL-ALT-DEL didn't do the job I pressed reset),
 > everything works fine BUT X windows.

To KILL X Windows, press CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE.

 > The resolution is now 640x400, even though I ran XF86Setup and changed the
 > screen to 1024x768 non-interlaced, then edited /etc/X11/XF86Config
 > manually and added (even though I used XF86Setup it wasn't there) support
 > for 1024x768 and 800x600. When I shut it down, I was that the server
 > marked (with (**) instead of (--)) resolutions up to 640X400, and wrote
 > that it didn't use 800x600 since it is 50 MHz and my clock limit is 40
 > MHz, it also wrote that it dropped 1024x768 from the list (didn't say why
 > - I configured it to 80 MHz) My monitor AND graphic card can do much
 > better then 40 MHz.
 >
 > Should I reinsatall xbase and SVGA-Server?
 > Can I do something else about it?
 > I'm using Trident 8900CL and no-name (non-interlace) monitor that can do
 > 30-50 and 30-90 for 1024x768 and 800x600.

Even if you re-install xbase, you'll probably end up hand-editing the
config file anyway (I know, I usually have to :-)

Just edit the monitor section in the XF86Config file, and tell it that
your monitor can use 30-50 Hz horizontal, and 30-90 Hz
vertical. (i.e. HorizontalSync = 30-50, and VertRefresh = 30-90).
Then look at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc, for the Devices and Monitors
file.  There you will find Modelines for you monitor and card, and
tune your Device section to your hearts desire.  Then, ensure that the
chipset is correct for your "Generic SVGA" device, and that SVGA is
the X server used in /etc/X11/Xserver (i.e. the first line reads
/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA).