Re: is there a Debian specific published manual

	See the docs at www.debian.org .  There are quite a few.
	Also there is a book on debian (OReilly ?) , its also on the net,
but I can't remember where.

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Fuzzy wrote:

> /
> /usr
> 	/usr/src	installed system software sources
> 	/usr/local	/etc /bin /lib whatever
> 	/usr/local/src  installed locally patched sources
> 			of course if things are stable
> 			there probably wont be much in /usr/local

	Debian currently follows the FSSTND .  There is nothing
in /usr/local .  Thats all for your site.

> /var
> 	/var/spool	for UUCP spool, inn control files
> 			users mail
> 			(if its possible the users mail spool
> 			should go in the users /home our
> 			users use mainly pine and elm (MUAs)
> 			and we use sendmail (MTA))
> 			SMTPD staging
	I believe all the debian defaults put mail in /var/spool
(I'm not sure if there is a script to let you choose.)  With sendmail
I think you just edit the directory in /etc/passwd  to change this.

> /tmp
> /news 			spool space for articles
> /home[1-n]		user home directories

agrees

> /majordomo		all things relating

debian puts bins in /usr/lib/majordomo  (all files that are static)
puts variable files in /var/lib/majordomo
puts docs in /usr/doc/majordomo
This goes for all packages

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>