Replacing smail w/exim

I'm presently running my system with smail.  What I'd like to do is
to convert to an easier to configure and more capable MTA, which I
believe is exim (correct me if I'm wrong:-).

   However, I'm in a catch-22.  dselect/dpkg won't allow me to remove
smail because so many packages depend on it.  And, dselect/dpkg won't
allow me to install exim because smail already exists.

   Could someone give me some tips on the "proper" way to accomplish
such a switch?  Is there a way to override dselect/dpkg's dependencies
for such circumstances?  Thanks in advance.

--
 Regards,                 | Debian GNU/ __      o