Re: Debian/WindowsNT partitioning

Bill Leach wrote:

> Yes I am aware of this but also have experienced in the past that doing
> this (fdisk/mbr) has made it possible to partition a disk that would not
> otherwise be accepted by fdisk.  Because of what you say, I feel as though
> it borders on "FM" but possibly it has something to do with the BIOS of
> the particular machines where this has workded?

Ah, I'm willing to bet this is because the boot block contains a
"magic number" and that fdisk will reject any disk which does not
have this magic number (perhaps it had been corrupted). Note this
excerpt from /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt:

The MS-DOS boot sector has the following structure:

                    +------------------------+
              0x000 |Jump to the program code|
                    |------------------------|
              0x003 |                        |