Re: Are 120 MB diskspace enough?

Thomas Apel <thomas.apel@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm going to set up a server for some network-experiments. The machine
> shall run a mail and database-server and perhaps a web-server.
>
> For the possible hardware I'm offered a 486 DX2/66, 16 MB RAM, 120 MB
> HDD. Now the question is: Are 120 MB disk-space sufficient? I have my
> doubts about this. But as this will be my first linux-machine I'm not
> sure.

Well, my girlfriend runs her linux box within a 100 MB partition, with a 10
MB swap partition.  The one thing I'd be wary of while installing is emacs -
it can be nice, but it's very big on small systems (and if you install
emacs, you need to install xlib6, which you won't need to install otherwise)
The total saving on space one gets by avoiding emacs and xlib6 is about 5.5
MB.  It's got smail, pine, the standard networking stuff, lynx, gcc and
binutils, etc.  I think the disk is still about 20% free.

If you're going to be doing much programming on this box, I recommend jed -
it's a nice programmer's editor and it's only about half a MB - however, it
is based on emacs (at least under the default configuration), so knowing
emacs will help (but if you remember Esc-?-? to get to menus it won't be too
bad even for emacs newbies).