Re: Several Q's

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Matthew Majka wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got Debian 1.3.1 installed on a PC at home and am having two minor
> problems.
>
> This first is that when I run 'xconsole', it returns "cannot open
> /dev/console".
>
> The second is that 'w', 'who', and 'finger' never displays any users.
>
> Does anyone have any solutions to these problems.  If you need more
> specific info, please let me know.
>
> Also, can anyone recommend a decent three-button mouse (serial or
> ps/2).  The middle button on my current mouse doesn't work.
>
> --
> __________________________________
> Matthew Majka

Matthew,
    The problem with your mouse might not be your mouse, but the way that
it is configured.  I have had to jump through all of the mouse hoops a lot
recently to get mine to work.  A possible solution is that there might be
a switch on the bottom of the mouse that you can flip, then reboot the
machine, and see if it works.  If not, you will have to mess with
XF86Config.  If you don't have a switch on the bottom, or if that doesn't
fix the problem, then email this list again, and we'll go from there.

Larry Gariepy
gariepy@cs.dartmouth.edu