RE: XDM seem to hang until I reboot.

Jay,

I did some fiddling and made some calls.  I found a few quirkey things but
don't know if they would affect you.

The guys here use xdm-query.  At first it gives you an error message about
xdm request denied.  Then you clear the key field (communications screen ->
configure) and everything works.  That's moot though since you get a
session.

Sounds now like it is something with the window manager.  Sorry I couldn't
be more help.  I just don't have any experience using those modes.

As an aside, the guys over in the cold mill use HWM in single window mode
and still run cde!??  I haven't figured that one out yet...

Let me know if you find out anything else...

jim