Re: Partitioning

Paul, Linux doesn't recognize or even care about "primary" partitions.
"fdisk", "cfdisk", etc. recognize them but only because BIOS deals with
drives and partitions in this fashion.  I guess what I am trying to say is
that Linux does not care a whit about what kind of partition or where it
happens to be located.  OTOH, Lilo, loadlin, and the like have to "care"
since they are using BIOS calls for access.  The reason why there can only
be four primary partitions is due to the design of the PC BIOS.  Even lilo
ignores the DOS, Windoz, OS2, characteristic of "not seeing" the
"inactive" primary partitions (of course OS2 boot manager effectively does
also).

I think where you said "ligical partitions" you meant "logical partitions"
(my own fingers act like they are at least 'half-broke' most of the time
too).  Logical partitions are NOT a problem in Linux.  Now I believe that
the pseudo-filesystem that combines partitions transparently is still a
little on the experimental side and if so might be a bit risky to use.

best,
-bill
      bleach@BellSouth.net  b.leach@Worldnet.att.net
           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
    -->Please note wrl@bellsouth.net does not work<--
     -->nor does <anyone>@<anyhost>.wconsult.com<--
==>and yes eventually I'll get the mailer figured out<==
from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
         See!  They do get some things right!