X error

I successfully compiled XFITSview (a program for viewing and manipulating
images in the FITS format) on my machine (running the latest from
unstable, including LessTif 0.82).  However, when I try to run it, the
program starts, I briefly see a couple windows flash on the screen, then
they disappear, and the following message appears:

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Serial number of failed request:  915

The above happens if I have started X as startx -- -bpp 16

However, if I have started X as startx -- -bpp 8 then XFITSview brings a
message up saying Colormap full, create new one

Is this a problem with XFITSview or is it a problem with my Xserver
(xserver-mach64 version 3.3.1-2) or is it a problem with LessTif?

Any ideas on what I can do to solve this problem?

If further information would be helpful, I'll provide it.

Thanks.

James