Re: smail won't send mail

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Adam Klein wrote:

> In the past few days, smail has stopped non-local mail.  It returns a
> message from MAILER-DAEMON saying something like
> `551: Have you read DNS + BIND'.  What's going on?
>
> Adam Klein

Well, since this problem apparently just came up, it's probably not
something you did but rather something your ISP did.  Tell me, is the
visible name as defined in your /etc/smail/config file a name that
corresponds to your machine in the DNS?  That is, if your ISP were to do
nslookup <visible_name>
would they get your machine's IP address?
If your visible name is not something that directly corresponds to your IP
address, then your ISP may be doing some kind of weird anti-spam thing
which prevents smail from sending outgoing mail.

I use ppp, and so have a dynamic IP address.  I still manage to set my
visible_name so that it looks ok from the outside, though - see
http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/mybox.html for for I do it.