Re: pppd complains link isn't 8-bit clean!

> Hi,
>
> A friend and I have been having problems getting ppp to work on his
> laptop.  Everything works with the chat script until just after ppp is
> engaged.  Then it complains as follows.
>
> pppd Serial connection established
> Using interface ppp0
> Connect:ppp0 <-> /dev/ttyS1
> LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
> Connection terminated.
> Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
> Problem: all has bit 7 set to 0
>
> I've tried connecting with ppp from windows 95 on the same machine with
> the same modem etc, and it all works fine, so it would seem the problem is
> something to do with the debian setup.  The only thing I can think of is
> interrupts, but I have looked at /proc/interrupts and it seems okay - but
> perhaps this doesn't tell the whole story???

Hi.

This has nothing to do with interrrupts. The problem here is that ppp is
not started on remote side and still trying to communicate with you via
human-readable ascii (that's the origin of 8-bit unclean). Try to connect
to the peer using minicom, login mannualy and start ppp by either typing
"ppp" or something like that. When you see garbage on the screen - you are
done! Just remember what you did and edit your /etc/ppp.chatscript
accordingly.

Alex Y.

--
   _