Re: How are .Xdefaults files handled under Debian?

Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> writes:

> I added the line:
>
> xterm.scrollBar:	true
>
> In a .Xdefaults file to turn on scrollbars automatically on xterms, but X
> seemed to ignore this.  How does Debian deal with Xdefaults?

In Debian, the file ".Xdefaults" should be renamed to
".Xresources". This file is then evaluated every time you login (if
you have the line "allow-user-resources" in /etc/X11/config).

You can also run the command "xrdb -merge .Xdefaults" (or .Xresources)
to update your resources manually without login out and in.

> And where can I read about these things?

A good place to start reading is the manual page for xdm. This manual
page tells you what happens in which order, and where the
configuration files are located. Most of xdm's behaviour is determined
by scripts, and these scripts are actually readable.

And if you don't like man pages, I highly recommend installing tkman.

- Sten Anderson