My new project (repost)

Dear Debian Users,

Sorry about that partial message. Telnet over a radio modem fails sometimes.
It's real nice to be on the net with no wires, though.

As I was saying, now that I am leaving the Debian project leader
position, I want to work on commercialization. Debian consistently comes
in second in Linux distribution popularity polls. This is behind Red Hat
and ahead of Caldera, SuSe, etc. We are not first because we've got the
hobby market but only the most well-informed commercial users use Debian.

SCO recenetly sent out a letter trying to convince Linux users to upgrade
to SCO UnixWare. They listed these flaws in Linux:

	[Quoting SCO]
   1.Linux has no technical support or maintenance.
   2.Linux has no defined strategy for the future.
   3.Most Important, can your company accept that its viability as a business depends heavily on a freeware product maintained
     by a small number of people on an essentially volunteer basis?
   4.Of course, there is a challenging aspect to Linux. Just imagine all of the fun you get when you encounter a bug and debug
     the kernel yourself.
	[End quote]

I intend to address these problems, specificaly for Debian.

[Quoting SCO] 1. Linux has no technical support or maintenance.

I am instituting a 24/7 commercial email support desk for
Debian. The fee will be $45 per complete incident, with a first response
within one hour or you don't pay. I will be using our global network
of consultants to keep the virtual "desk" staffed around the clock,
with enough overlap so that there is an expert on everything on the
Official CD available. Once the help desk is bootstrapped, I will be
exploring annual support contracts as well. The probable cost of an
annual contract will be $1500, I'm not starting them right away because
I think you have to show a working support organization before asking
for that.

The paid support answers will be "sanitized" (that means the customers
particulars will be removed) and placed in a GPL-ed Debian Support
Database. So, this commercial project will be contributing back to Debian.
Also, the commercial support project will act as a referral service for the
consultants who work on it.

This is not to say that there's anything wrong with our free support,
or that I will discourage people from working on it. This is only for
the organizations that insist on the security of paid support.

[Quoting SCO]  2.Linux has no defined strategy for the future.

To rectify this problem, I will write a strategy for promoting 100% free
software systems to business and will submit it as a program to major shows
where you can hear about it and discuss it. I will also work on promoting
100% free software systems to business through publications and speaking
engagements at non-Linux shows.

[Quoting SCO] 3.Most Important, can your company accept that its viability
as a business depends heavily on a freeware product maintained by a small
number of people on an essentially volunteer basis?

[Quoting SCO] 4.Of course, there is a challenging aspect to Linux. Just
imagine all of the fun you get when you encounter a bug and debug the kernel
yourself.

Obviously, the commercial support organization I am forming will address this.

I think it's nice when a company takes their time to isolate all of your
problems and point them out so neatly so that you can work on them.
I reproduce the entirety of SCO's nice letter below.

	Many Thanks

	Bruce Perens

November 7, 1997

Your Old Linux OS was fine...

But, now there's something that blows it out of the water! Introducing the NEWEST VERSION of SCO's hot OS...UnixWare
2.1.2

Move up to UnixWare now and SAVE BIG with this SPECIAL TRADE-IN OFFER.

Dear Linux User:

I want to bump you out of your comfort zone! (And you'll thank me for doing it.)

Right now you're plodding along with your old Linux OS, when instead you could throw the throttle wide open with SCO's
powerful new UnixWare 2.1.2.

Sure it's hard to move up from an old familiar OS. But when the rewards are so dramatic -- it's simple the right business
decision.

                                You May Feel Your Linux Is Adequate...

                                     But, Did You Know This?

   1.Linux has no technical support or maintenance.
   2.Linux has no defined strategy for the future.
   3.Most Important, can your company accept that its viability as a business depends heavily on a freeware product maintained
     by a small number of people on an essentially volunteer basis?
   4.Of course, there is a challenging aspect to Linux. Just imagine all of the fun you get when you encounter a bug and debug
     the kernel yourself.

Now... look over the enclosed UnixWare "New Features" sheet. Compare it to the Linux OS you're currently saddled with. Be
honest. Which OS would you really like to be running on your system right now?

                                  Unleash your system's full potential.

                           Make the jump NOW to SCO UnixWare 2.1.2 on Intel

What makes UnixWare 2.1.2 so hot? It's Web and Java ready. Fully optimized for the Internet and intranets. And, most
important... You get unprecedented, mainframe levels of system reliability. Known for years as the most reliable, scalable,
secure OS on the Intel platform, SCO UnixWare run thousands of business-critical applications for thousands of businesses
across the world. It's the world's performance-lading, Enterprise class operating system for the Intel platform. And, it opens the
way for you to enjoy all the benefits of exciting, new "Internet Way of Computing." SCO Software Maintenance. An Important
Bonus!

To keep your system current and running smoothly, I'm including one year of SCO Software Maintenance in this TRADE-IN
OFFER. Each quarter you'll automatically receive a CD-ROM deliverable containing ALL UnixWare major releases, updates,
patches, and enhancements. If SCO's released it during the quarter for the products you've signed up for...you'll get it
automatically! No downloading. No ordering. Everything you need arrives on one easy to install CD, ensuring your system is
absolutely current at all times.

                                  Now's The Right Time To Move Up!

To encourage you to move up now, I've put together the following limited-time SPECIAL TRADE-IN OFFER...

        UnixWare 2.1.2 Enterprise
          (5-user system).................... $1,395
        SCO Software Maintenance (1-Year).... $  749
                                              ------
        Regular Price.........................$2,144

        YOUR PRICE.......................just $1,495
        You Save $650!!!

Here's the real bottom line... Make the jump now and you'll experience the improved system performance, peace of mind, and
personal productivity that only SCO UnixWare 2.1.2 can give you. And you'll SAVE $650! Please pick up the phone now and
call 1-800-726-8652, dept. 365041 and trade up to UnixWare 2.1.2. I look forward to hearing from you.