Re: kernel 2.1.68/69

> Subject: kernel 2.1.68/69
> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 23:19:41 +1100
> From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish@rising.com.au>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> can anyone get 2.1.68 or 2.1.69 to compile?
>
> hamish

Hamish,
    2.1.67 had some changes to the installation scripts that broke make-kpkg.  I've been watching the lists and I don't think
anyone has noticed yet (except you and me).  2.1.68 has all kinds of new signal stuff that don't compile properly at all.
2.1.69 is said to be stable, though I haven't tried it myself.  I did get 2.1.67 to compile, though, by avoiding the use of
make-kpkg altogether.  Here is how it is done:

cd /usr/src/
rm -r linux  (I don't use debian kernel source packages, adjust this if you do)
tar xfvz linux-2.1.69.tar.gz
cd linux
[read README and do what it tells you to remove and recreate symbolic links, finish with "make mrproper"]
make menuconfig [xconfig is nice too]
make dep; make clean; make zImage [or bzImage]
make modules
make modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-2.1.69
ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-2.1.67 [or whatever your old kernel is] /vmlinuz-old
ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-2.1.69 /vmlinuz
lilo [uses your original lilo.conf]
shutdown -r now

There may also be some additional funkiness with System.map files; if you find you have a new one in the source tree, copy it
to /boot/System.map-2.1.69, as appropriate.

Note that you won't be able to uninstall this like a debian package, but it's not hard to revert to the old version by
changing the symlinks (or better yet, include an entry for an older, stable kernel in lilo.conf).

Hope this helps, and let's also hope that Linus keeps churning out those patches!

Matt

_____
Matthew R. Briggs
mbriggs@switchboard.net