Re: allow mount to normal user

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Adam Klein wrote:

> > > i want to allow normal user to use mount for floppy and cdrom.
> > > because i dont want to run apps in root account...
> > > what should i do.
> >
> > One of the options you can specify to mount is the 'user' option which
> > allows ordinary users to mount a filesystem. Check 'man 8 mount' for
> > further details.
> >
> The problem with that is that you can only specify one filesystem type.
> I've got this problem two.  Is there a solution?

Use this way:

install super.deb

check /etc/login.defs for

CONSOLE_GROUPS          floppy:audio:cdrom:dialout:dip:dosdisks
                        ^^^^^^
Hmm, this only works for console logins. So better add the local users who
should be able to mount the floppy to the folppy group in /etc/group

and check /dev/fd0 for

$ ls -l /dev/fd0
brw-rw----   1 root     floppy     2,   0 Apr 14  1997 /dev/fd0

insert into /etc/super.tab

fon /usr/local/bin/fon          :floppy uid=root
foff /usr/local/bin/foff        :floppy uid=root

Here are the scripts that allow the actuall mount:

cat /usr/local/bin/fon
#!/bin/sh

prog=`basename $0`
# If script invoked w/o super, then exec super to run this script.

test "X$SUPERCMD" = "X$prog" || exec /usr/bin/super $prog ${1+"$@"}

mount -o  rw,nodev,noexec,uid=0,gid=25,umask=007,quiet -t vfat /dev/fd0
/floppy && echo Floppy gemountet unter /mnt/a

cat /usr/local/bin/foff
#!/bin/sh

prog=`basename $0`
# If script invoked w/o super, then exec super to run this script.

test "X$SUPERCMD" = "X$prog" || exec /usr/bin/super $prog ${1+"$@"}

umount /floppy && echo Floppy unmounted

Now, if you also want to mount a xiafs floppy, simply create copies of
these scripts and change the "-t fstype" expression.

Ciao,
	Martin