proxy server question

I'm attempting to use one of my computers at home as a proxy server for
the others. At a recent installfest I got everything set up with a great
deal of help from a couple of Debian gurus. Now, at home, things don't
seem to be working, and I don't know what I could have changed to make a
difference.

Specifically, in response to the command:
ipfwadm -F -p deny
I get the error message:
ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available.

I have been through the NAG, the Firewall-How-to, the man pages, etc., and
am no closer to diagnosing the problem. Suggestions would bne appreciated.

Mark Stone