Re: make-kpkg ??

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 11:15:35AM -0800, tony mollica wrote:
> There have been some posts on rebuilding the kernel that mention the
> kernel-package.deb package, make-kpkg and non-debian kernel source or
> packages.  I have been successfully rebuilding my kernels, but only from
> a debian CD with no 'outside' sources.  Now I would like to upgrade from
> 2.0.30 to 2.0.32 (from www.linux.org) and I see that the original source
> should be 'debianized' with 'make-kpkg' in the source directory.  Could
> someone enlighten me on the reason for this, the procedure and what this
> does, exactly.

You can use kernel-package to build a kernel-image-deb and to use a
kernel-source-deb (even to build a kernel-header-deb), but you only need to
build a kernel-image.deb to recompile and install the new kernel.

Just go for it, no  need to wait for the debian sources, or to build a
kernel-source-package (it would not contain any additional information).

It could be useful to make dpkg less ignorant about your kernel-source,
though.

Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."                         Debian GNU/Linux
Marcus Brinkmann                                      http://www.debian.org