make-kpkg ??

There have been some posts on rebuilding the kernel that mention the
kernel-package.deb package, make-kpkg and non-debian kernel source or
packages.  I have been successfully rebuilding my kernels, but only from
a debian CD with no 'outside' sources.  Now I would like to upgrade from
2.0.30 to 2.0.32 (from www.linux.org) and I see that the original source
should be 'debianized' with 'make-kpkg' in the source directory.  Could
someone enlighten me on the reason for this, the procedure and what this
does, exactly.

thanks,

tony mollica
tmollica@sb.net