Re: diald & cached webpages

David Stern wrote:

> --------
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to cut down my online time and would like to use diald,
> however everytime I wish to follow a link in my browser (netscape) to a
> webpage that is cached, diald fires up a ppp link.  I prefer to only
> reload webpages manually, so I setup netscape to never reload webpages
> automatically.  If diald weren't running, the pages would load
> instantly, but instead I have to wait for the ppp link to come up and
> then for a response, assuming the line is not busy or inoperative..
>
> So I want to use diald, but I cannot allow diald to fire up a ppp
> connection when the page is already sitting on my hard drive.   I'm not
> sure if this is a browser setting, a diald setting, or if I need some
> kind of caching software, but I don't see any information like this
> anywhere, maybe because I don't know what I'm looking for. :-)
>
> Would somebody please steer me in the right direction?
>
> David Stern
>
> --

The problem in this situation is that Netscape will always attempt to
access the remote server that the pages rely on when you click a link,
whether or not you have the page locally in the cache, or have to option
on to never check for updates on the page.

Most browsers do this.

Why?  Anyone's guess.

My guess? Because it automatically tries to resolve the domainname in
preparation for an actual read, which in turn causes diald to fire up.

Solution?  At best whatever you or others come up with will be a hack
since the problem is with Netscape and not diald.