Re: permissions

> I just moved my Linux to a larger hard drive. Unfortunately, root appears to
> own everything. What is the easiest way to fix the permissions? I still have
> the original drive that I moved from and can still mount it.

The easist way is to copy it from the original again and either use 'cp
-a' which will preserve permissions correctly or use tar which will also
preserve permissions correctly.

Becarefull about overwriting /proc and /dev though as that can cause
problems.

eg.

cp -a /old /new

cd /old ; tar cf - . | (cd /new ; tar xvpf - )

Adam.

 4050 Lake Otis		    Adam  Shand        (v) +1 907 562 4638
 Anchorage, Alaska     Systems Administrator   (f) +1 907 562 1677
----------------- http://larry.earthlight.co.nz -------------------