Re: ftp question

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Paul Tanner wrote:

: Since my ISP upgraded to x2 56K I have been unable to ftp several sites
: (including ftp.debian.org)  However I can ftp , for example, prep.ai.mit.edu .
:
: The ISP's old 33.6 system is available, as before, using the old phone
: number. (x2 was installed on a new phone number) After a failed attempt at
: ftp, I can log out of my 52k connection, then log on using the old phone
: number, and ftp the same site and, only a couple minutes later ---it works!
: (but at 31.2 or slower) I have repeated this enough times to be convinced it
: is not a random failure.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess that the problem lies in this
paragraph ... modems have IP addresses, so new modems are going to be
assigned new IP addresses.  Many FTP sites try to resolve the IP address
they find within an incoming packet back to a name, for some added sense
of security.  ftp.debian.org is a site that does this.  If you do not
have a PTR record defined, you won't be able to ftp!!  Likely as not,
your provider has not gotten around to reverse name-serving their new
modem pool, so many FTP sites are convinced you're a charlatan.

You can test this if you know what your IP address is - simply do an
nslookup on the IP address.  You'll find out soon enough if it's reverse
name-served or not.

If the new modems aren't reverse name-served, feel free to complain to
your provider. :)

:
: The x2 system requires a different login procedure which, with the help of
: reading a recent discussion on this list, I was able to get connected.  The
: changes necessary were: changeing /etc/ppp.chatscript to end at CONNECT ,
: the new phone number, and writing my user name & password in
: /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.
:
: I've been reading HOWTOs & man's, but haven't found the right clue.  BTW
: http's work OK using Mosaic, netscape, or lynx. (I've also tried ftp using
: these -- with no sucess).
:
: Here's a typical failure:
: ~$ftp ftp.debian.org
: Connected to santanni.cc.gatech.edu.
: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
:
: I'm using Debian 1.3.1 which I upgraded from 1.2 using the cheapbytes CD.
: All hints will be appreciated. Is this something I screwed up, (probably) or
: the provider's problem, or - - -?
:
: Paul Tanner
:
:
: --
: TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
: debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .
: Trouble?  e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .
:
:

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104