ftp question

Since my ISP upgraded to x2 56K I have been unable to ftp several sites
(including ftp.debian.org)  However I can ftp , for example, prep.ai.mit.edu .

The ISP's old 33.6 system is available, as before, using the old phone
number. (x2 was installed on a new phone number) After a failed attempt at
ftp, I can log out of my 52k connection, then log on using the old phone
number, and ftp the same site and, only a couple minutes later ---it works!
(but at 31.2 or slower) I have repeated this enough times to be convinced it
is not a random failure.

The x2 system requires a different login procedure which, with the help of
reading a recent discussion on this list, I was able to get connected.  The
changes necessary were: changeing /etc/ppp.chatscript to end at CONNECT ,
the new phone number, and writing my user name & password in
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets.

I've been reading HOWTOs & man's, but haven't found the right clue.  BTW
http's work OK using Mosaic, netscape, or lynx. (I've also tried ftp using
these -- with no sucess).

Here's a typical failure:
~$ftp ftp.debian.org
Connected to santanni.cc.gatech.edu.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

I'm using Debian 1.3.1 which I upgraded from 1.2 using the cheapbytes CD.
All hints will be appreciated. Is this something I screwed up, (probably) or
the provider's problem, or - - -?

Paul Tanner