Re: K6 and Debian (and heatsinks)

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Frank Sergeant wrote:

[ snip ]
:
:      Does anyone have any experience with this?  In
: the old days, voltage regulators and power transistors
: and such hot-running ICs usually were not just attached
: to their heatsinks bare, but were smeared with
: heatsink/thermal compound first in order to provide better
: heat transfer than a bare connection would provide.

A 300W RF amp built without using thermal compound will fail in a hurry
(and smell bad, too :)

:
:      However, I have gathered that the typical CPU
: heatsink is just put on bare.  Is this just laziness
: on the part of assemblers or is there some legitimate
: reason to think the heatsink compound is not needed
: with CPUs?

Other than cost, no good reason whatsoever.  Most techs I've been around
have no idea that thermal compound exists, but I don't consider
ignorance a "legitimate excuse" in this case.

Personally, I've got a tube of compound at my desk; any PC I end up
fiddling with gets its heatsink checked.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104